Monday, January 27, 2014

Economics of Religion- The Vatican


After a long day adventuring through the Vatican, enjoying a change in pace of meals with some Asian cooking, and some interesting historical insight provided by Professor Wurm, a game of cards over drinks with friends before a night of excitement and music was certainly called for. Monday night in Rome during the middle of winter might not be the most exciting time, but when you're nearing the end of a long trip abroad with a group of newly founds friends there isn't nearly enough time in the world.


Though there was an absurdly beautiful level of detail at the Vatican, I was taken off guard by some of my assumptions going into the city. The museum was much more of a traditional museum than I had anticipated, and although everything was either owned in the Pope's collection or was a part of the Vatican itself, I wasn't expecting the outing to be as much of tourist trap as it was. The Sistine Chapel was underwhelming, though I believe this was because of the lack of lighting. Where I had expected a large dome fresco of God reaching to Adam I found a naturally lit chamber filled with tourists and security that ranted the gospel of 'No Photos'. Economically this makes sense, as if I was unable to take photos then I would be more likely to purchase a keepsake photo of the painting. However, that rule has yet to stop me, and many photos were captured. 


To quickly rescue from some of the group's unimpressed sentiment, we arrived at the Church of St. Peter. Entering the building that required on tickets was refreshing, and with such immense size and history many jaws dropped. Though I do believe that the rest of the Vatican City that is closed off to the public would remedy some of the feeling of disappointment, the cathedral certainly was the cure.



Tomorrow we wake early again and attend a site of more brutal Roman history- The Colosseum.   




No comments:

Post a Comment